Notice for Public Election of People’s Assessors for Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court
Time of Release: 16:45:13, November 27, 2015 Source: Qianhai Court
In order to implement the Decision on Improving the People's Assessor System of the Standing Committee of the National People's Congress and to guarantee the smooth work by people's assessors, safeguard citizens' lawful participation in the judicial process, and promote judicial justice, this court has considered and decided to carry out an election of people's assessors in Shenzhen and now make such details of notice as follows:
1. About the People's Assessor System
The People's Assessor System is an important component of not only the adjudication system but also the democratic political system in China. It is an indispensable way of involving the people in the administration of State affairs in the field of justice and it embodies the organic unity of the Party's leadership, the people being the master of the country and the rule of law. The main objective of this system is for judicial democracy to be realized and justice to be upheld throughthe exercise of state power to adjudicate by people's assessors' participationin the judicial process and hearing of cases with people's judges.
2. Number of People's Assessors to Be Selected
40 people's assessors will selected in this election.
3. Eligibility Criteria
To serve as a people's assessor, an individual shall:
(1) be in possession of Chinese nationality;
(2) pledge allegiance to the Constitution of the People's Republic of China;
(3) be at least 23 years of age(by the end of the month for closure of registration);
(4) be a person of good conduct, fairness and decency;
(5) be physically healthy;
(6) have a college degree or above, but if being a general public representative, such education requirement may be properly loosen based on actual circumstances;
(7) have his/her household registered in Shenzhen or have resided in Shenzhen for one year or more; and
(8) have passion for adjudication and be able to participate in trials as scheduled and earnestly perform the duties of people's assessors.
A person falling into any of the following categories shall be barred from serving as a people's assessor:
(1)members of the standing committees of people's congresses, or personnel of people's courts, people's procuratorates, public security agencies, national security agencies and judiciary administrative agencies, or practicing lawyers.
(2) persons who were previously convicted and subject to criminal punishment; and
(3) persons who were previously dismissed from office.
4. People's Assessor Pay
People's assessors' lawful participation in the judicial process is protected by law. People's assessors will receive certain reimbursement from courts for expenses for transportation and meals arisen due to attending trials and training. Employers of people's assessors shall not, in actual or disguised form, deduct their salary, bonus or other benefits for the time when they are serving in trials.
5. Process and Requirements
Registration can be made through individual application or organizational recommendation.
Individual Application: An eligible citizen can file an application in writing with this court.
Organizational Recommendation: The employer of a citizen or the primary-level organization of the place where the citizen's household is registered can recommend the citizen, after obtaining his/her own consent, to this court in writing.
(2) Filling out Application Form or Recommendation Form
Fill out and submit the People's Assessor Recommendation Form or the People's Assessor Application Form in triplicate.
(3) Documents Required for Registration
a. Originals and photocopies of identity certifying documents including identity card and household register; b. originals and photocopies of academic certificates; c. 25mm x 35mm photo without hat or head covering taken recently in triplicate; and d. original of Certificate of Clear Criminal Record issued by a competent public security agency.
(4) Time of Registration: 9:30-11:30 a.m./2:30-5:30 p.m. from October 10 to 15, 2015.
(5) Place of Registration: Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court (13A, Enterprise Dream Park, Qianhai, Shenzhen)
(6)Eligibility Review and Interview
To be conducted by this court jointly with relevant departments.
Upon affirmation of eligibility, a submission for appointment will be made by this court to the Standing Committee of the People's Congress of Nanshan District, Shenzhen, which will be followed by the issuance of a letter of appointment with a term of five years and a public announcement at the same time.
Matters not addressed herein are subject to explanation by Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court.
Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court People's Assessor Recommendation Form
Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court People's Assessor Application Form
Contact Person: Ms. Xiao Tel: 86705100
Shenzhen Qianhai Cooperation Zone People's Court
September 10, 2015